Ashrae 110 Fume Hood Testing An Overview
Fume hoods are a critical part of any laboratory. Given that they are used often, it’s critical to ensure that they also perform well at any point. The best way to do that is to conduct regular testing as per ASHRAE’s standards. In this infographic, we’re discussing the ASHRAE 110 testing standards devised specifically for fume hoods and what it entails.
At Kewaunee International, we have our own range of fume hoods that are carefully constructed giving you the much-needed safety your laboratory personnel need. You can view our range of fume hoods here: https://www.kewaunee.in/laboratory-fume-hood.php
|What is it?
- The ASHRAE 110 standard for fume hood testing is conducted by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- The purpose is to continuously test the performance of fume hoods to ensure that they are compliant and performing up to the mark
- Some capabilities tested are containing and exhausting fumes—basically its operational capabilities
|How do you test?
- Types: As Manufactured (AM), As Installed (AI) and As Used (AU)
- Primary tests: inflow face velocity profiling, airflow smoke pattern testing, tracer gas tests
- Additional testing options: Cross-draft testing, Local and large volume smoke visualisation testing, Tracer gas containment testing, VAV (variable air volume) response testing, Sash motion effects tracer gas containment testing
- Nitrous oxide is used as the tracer gas
|How often should you test?
- ASHRAE recommends that testing must be done at least once a year
- This is to ensure that the fume hood’s performance is optimal at all times
- It also ensures that any experimental product remains in controlled environments as required
- If the equipment is repaired or changed, testing must be done once again
Kewaunee, the global leader in total laboratory solutions, empowers organisations to achieve competitive advantage through safe, efficient, and contemporary laboratories. In existence since 1906, Kewaunee powers the laboratories for over 5,000 customers in more than 100 countries.